We will proceed in three steps in our research:
- We assess the state of research on sustainable energy behaviour, particularly the barriers faced by consumers, and develop a common theoretical framework for our studies that integrates institutional and individual factors.
- We assess the barriers and strategies to overcome these from different perspectives:
- Qualitative interviews with strategic stakeholders in the involved countries: Norway, UK, The Netherlands, Switzerland, Hungary and France;
- Representative quantitative surveys among consumers in the countries involved in the project. This consumer survey will build upon the special Euro-barometer on Attitudes towards Energy , published in January 2006;
- Qualitative strategic focus groups among targeted consumer groups in the same countries. (Strategic groups are here people with different windows of opportunities and people with different social background.)
- We integrate these empirical studies to better understand the barriers and recommend strategies to overcome these barriers.